What’s New?

Well, I’m working on a poetry manuscript. It’s going along well. Just about finished the first round of editing. (I still don't have a title for the collection yet.) You have to be very Zen when you’re editing, because there’s no rushing through the process. If something’s not working, you just have to keep searching. Sometimes it seems like I’m on a goose chase trying to track down the right word or words. And if it’s a fairly big change, you have to let it sit for a few days – to see if it’s still working when you pick it back up again. I’m not sure you can ever be 100% objective about your own work, but you can be more or less objective.

What else is new? I’m all set to be a first-reader for one of my friend’s novellas – looking forward to that. Just have to print out all the pages and put aside an evening for it.

There are tons of literary events going on right now:

I’m excited about the Quattro Books launch on October 24. An old friend that I haven’t seen in ages is going to go with me and I can’t wait to see her!  

The Meat Locker Editions launch is on November 13. They're launching their very first novella, Gross, by Dave Proctor, so I don’t want to miss that.

Fresh from the printer - Gross by
Dave Proctor (Meat Locker Editions)
The Plasticine Poetry Reading Series is on November 17. Rod Weatherbie, Susie Berg, Heather Birrell and Priscila Uppal are reading.

Rod Weatherbie has a launch coming up on November 21, for his first full-length poetry collection, Chain of Islands.  (I’ll be one of the tribute readers.)  

That’s a lot of events lined up, considering that I’m cutting down on events in general. I’m trying to simplify my life to make more room for writing. But these events are CANNOT MISS events.

I can feel December just racing towards me. Christmas! I want to learn some fabulous Christmas carols on the ukulele. Might as well start planning Christmas stuff now, because I know for a fact that I always run out of time. Bake some cookies. Knit some sweaters. Yeah right. But I might actually send some cards this year.

Happy Fall to all!


Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Mike Lummis Reviews Heart Strings, a New Canadian Musical

Q&A with poet Robin Richardson

The Ins and Outs of Submitting to Literary Magazines